Saturday, January 23, 2010

Sunday's Roast Chicken & Dinner Rolls - Camp Dutch Oven Style

In a classic case of "monkey see, monkey do" I was inspired to haul out some of my black pots by the videos featured in a recent post.  Before doing this the tub I use as a windblock had to be freed from the icy clutches of winter. This was last weekend and I've got a lot more snow now.

3 Chicken halves easily fit in the big honking Lodge #16 Camp Oven.

 A batch of dinner rolls have risen in the Lodge #12. I used this recipe found on About.com.

You may have heard of the "+3/-3 rule" for Camp Oven cooking. For the #16 you see above this rule means 16 + 3 = 19 coals on top and 16 - 3 = 13 coals under the bottom. This gets you close to 350 degrees inside the oven. I have some spare charcoals burning in the tub to cover the next oven.

The dinner rolls are placed over the chicken. Stacking the ovens lets you capture the heat of the charcoals in a more efficient manner.

After the rolls baked for 20-22 minutes I peeked. They looked like they were almost done but I wanted them to brown more so the #12 was pulled off the stack and all the coals were placed on top. This is like slipping something under the broiler to brown.


I'm going to point out that this was the last of my Kingsford charcoal and I don't plan to buy any more. It produces lots of thick ash that clings to the briquette. I finally found a good source of Royal Oak and I'll stick to it unless they mess up their formula too.

The rolls next to my size 13 boot for size perspective.

The rolls slipped right out of the overturned pot. The daylight is almost gone...

I had to use the flash for the chicken but as you can see, it is simply roast chicken. It was good too. I slipped butter with lime juice, cilantro and garlic under the skin before it went into the #16. Cooking in a Camp Oven produces very tender meat and one of the chicken halves just fell apart as lifted it with tongs.

Cleanup for the oven used to cook the bread was as easy as wiping it out with a dish towel. The big # 16 barely fits in my 2 sided sink. Cleaning it outdoors or in a bathtub may be a better option.

I plan to do more Camp Oven related posts this year. Hopefully some people will be prodded into trying it themselves as it is a rather fun way to cook. Ive included some links below to sites that feature plenty of Camp/Dutch Oven material.

http://www.idos.com/

http://www.madmeatgenius.com/ 

http://papadutch.home.comcast.net/~papadutch/

http://www.dutchovendude.com/

http://marksblackpot.blogspot.com/

http://www.aussiecampovencook.com/

3 comments:

Chilebrown said...

Okay, you have prodded me into trying this. You are an inspiration cooking in that weather.

Greg said...

Chilebrown - It wasn't too bad. Low 40s when the sun was up but dropping fast once it went down.

I used to keep my camp dutch ovens hidden away so they rarely got used. Now I have them stacked in the kitchen and I can't ignore them anymore.

me_as_a_project said...

dang but those biscuits look good! i'm going to give them a try this weekend.

thanks! lg