Sunday, April 26, 2009

Linguisa and Kale Soup with Potatoes and Chick Peas

Why am I making soup when it is almost May? Because it is freaking snowing again, that's why!
(I went snowshoeing yesterday when I'd rather be on my Mt. Bike) Besides the snow, I like it, and it is a good way to eat the greens we all know we should.
Linguisa is a Portuguese sausage that is one of my favorites.

Ingredients:

12 ounces Linguisa sausage

1 bunch kale, washed and ripped up
2 potatoes, cubed
2 carrots peeled and diced
3 cloves garlic
1 can chick peas (garbanzo beans)

1 chopped onion 

1 quart chicken stock

1 1/2 quarts water
salt and pepper
1 TBsp. paprika
olive oil
cayenne or red pepper flakes
In a big ass Dutch Oven brown the sliced Linguisa with the chopped onion until the onion softens.
Add your garlic and cook for a minute.

Add the stock, water, potatoes and chick peas. You'll have to take my word that all that stuff is in there. Cook at a low simmer until the potatoes are soft ~ 25-30 minutes.
Once the potatoes are cooked add the carrots (under the kale) and the kale. Kale wilts as it cooks so this is not an excessive amount.
After just a few minutes the kale shrinks down and everything looks good but you should cook this longer before eating it. Add the rest of the seasonings.
Partially cover and go do something else for a bit and let this cook. This will be another happy marriage of P-I-G and greens if you let it simmer for another 25 minutes or so.
Finished! I like this with some cayenne and some crusty bread or toast. My soups are always really chunky. If you like lots of broth add more chicken stock and water.

2 comments:

Becky said...

This looks like a good variation from the Caldo Verde I usually make. Where do you find the linquisa? All I can find around here is polska kielbasa...which produces a Polish Portuguese soup. ;-)

Greg said...

Hi Becky, I buy the Silva brand of Linguisa at an Italian market and deli. (I buy Andouille there as well)

What's funny is I don't really care for their Italian sausage...