Tuesday, December 9, 2008

CHILI - Good for what ails you

Chili, my way, with extra sharp cheddar, onions, jalapeno and habenero.

I'm not from Texas so you may wish to disregard anything I say about chili. I've never even had chili in Texas. With that out of the way I'll proceed by saying I think this is pretty elemental chili and therefore probably close to the real deal. No beans, no tomatoes, no rice, no spaghetti. Hell, there aren't even any onions except as a garnish.
3 pounds lean beef - cubed
6-8 thick slices bacon - I used Nueske's
2 Negra Modelos or Shiner Bocks - I drank all the Negra Modelos
2 bay leaves
6 heaping tablespoons chile molido (powder) - I use a blend of Ancho and NM chiles.
3 teaspoons kosher salt
1 head finely chopped garlic
1 teaspoon cumin powder
1 teaspoon Mexican oregano (or marjoram)
1 teaspoon Cayenne pepper
½ teaspoon black pepper
1 tablespoon sugar
3 tablespoons paprika
4 tablespoons Masa Harina
Dice bacon and brown in cast iron Dutch Oven, rendering the fat. Remove bacon with a slotted spoon. Make sure you have one slice as a snack. (Save the rest of the bacon for latter use)
When bacon is removed, add meat in batches and sear over medium high heat. Small batches brown better.
Add all the beef, both beers and the bay leaves.
Cook in a covered Dutch Oven at 250 F. for 90 - 120 minutes until meat is tender.
Dump all remaining ingredients except Masa Harina into the DO, stir and cover. Put back into oven for another 30 minutes.
After 30 minutes add some of the chili gravy to the corn flour and stir to make a slurry. Add to Dutch Oven.
Cook on the stove top for 10 minutes, stir frequently as chili thickens. When your spoon stands straight up you are done. If you can wait serve the chili the next day. This is a food that improves overnight IMHO.

Heat level is medium but it has a very intense red chile flavor. I tend to eat it slowly as I enjoy the way red chiles change flavor every few seconds as you eat them. I like to add heat with the mix of jalapenos and habeneros.

A little of this chili goes a long way, it is very filling. You also get to spend quality time bonding with your Dutch Oven and that is the really important part.

5 comments:

Rev. Biggles said...

OH man, nothing as nice as pure chili. It's about about the chile powder and the meat, that's it. So rich, so good. And even better 3 days out. Whar's muh warm tortillas?

Biggles

Chilebrown said...

Once I saw Nueske Bacon I knew this was a winner.

Greg said...

You and Biggles are the High Prophets of Bacon in my book.

Zank said...

That's some great looking chili man!

Eliza28 said...

Okay I have now found one of my new favorite sites, recipes look GREAT!