Sunday, November 16, 2008

Pineapple Upside Down Cake


I didn't make this. Black Iron Chick did while I farted around in the garage. She was proud enough to take pictures so I figured I'd better post about it.

The recipe comes from my battered old "New York Times Cookbook" and it is unusual because it does not call for cornmeal. The cake reminds me of angel food cake in taste and texture but it has enough butter in it to keep Vermont and Wisconsin happy and in budget surpluses for years to come.

Stuff that goes in it:
1 and a half sticks of butter
3/4 cup brown sugar
pineapple rings, canned or fresh
1/4 cup pecans ~ We used 1/2 pecans and 1/2 walnuts.
1/2 cup granulated sugar (we use organic sorta brown sugar)
1 egg
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 and a half cups AP flour
1 and a half tsp. baking powder
pinch of salt
1/2 cup milk

What you do with it:
1) Oven preheated to 375 F.

2) In a number 8 (10.25") cast iron skillet { you could try another type of baking dish but some say you'll spend an eternity in a very hot place if it ain't a cast iron skillet } melt 4 TBsp. butter over medium low heat and add the brown sugar. Stir until sugar melts and add the pineapple rings and pecans.

3) Cream the remaining butter with the sugar, egg and vanilla. Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt and add alternately with the milk.

4) Spoon the batter over the pineapple mixture. Bake for 35 minutes or until done. Let cake stand for 5 minutes before inverting onto a plate.

Whipped cream would be a good topping but this was good as you see it. Pears or peaches can substitute for the pineapple if that's what you have.


4 comments:

Chilebrown said...

I LOVE Pineapple Upside down cake. I will have to try your recipe.
We made it with a mix at the Raider Game in a Dutch Oven. I impressed myself.

Greg said...

Anything you cook in a camp/dutch oven is muy bueno. I've done pies and cobblers in mine, no cake. Not even a dump cake.

Been thinking I haven't exercised my #14 Deep in a while. This weekend may change that.

Zank said...

Wow looks great! Now I'm going to have to dig up pictures of mine and post.

Zank

Becci said...

One of my very favorite things to cook in a cast iron skillet. My grandmother passed down her recipe to me. I think that I will have to seriously consider making a pineapple upside down cake very soon.