Friday, July 4, 2008

Mountain Man Breakfast from a Camp Dutch Oven


This is a pretty easy breakfast to make.

1/2 pound of decent sausage
1 white onion roughly chopped
3 green onions - use the tops for garnish
1/2 red bell pepper
4 pre-baked Yukon Gold spuds, chopped into 1" chunks
10 eggs, scrambled
extra sharp cheddar to cover

Brown the sausage and remove from DO. I swabbed almost all the leftover grease out and added some good EV olive oil. Add potatoes and brown. Add onions and pepper and cook for 3-5 minutes until they start to soften. Add the sausage back to the DO and pour the eggs over everything and add the lid. I used 9 coals underneath and 15 on top for 25 minutes. The lid was removed and cheese and green onion added. Replace the lid and let everything melt for another 5 minutes.

The biscuits are the same recipe as my first post Biscuits but I substituted 1 cup of whole wheat flour for 1 cup of AP.

{I like the name "1/2 whole wheat" as I can imagine my 6th grade English teacher having a stroke over it.}

4 coals underneath with 18 on top for 12 minutes provided the heat. Next time I'll use 20 coals on top and shorten the time.

The whole wheat flour and lots of hot sauce makes this breakfast as healthy as oatmeal.

No comments: