Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Biscuits cooked in a cast iron skillet


Preheat oven to 425 Fahrenheit
Place an ungreased 10" cast iron skillet in the oven.

2 cups AP flour (or Pastry flour for lighter biscuits)
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. sugar
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 stick cold butter cut into 1/4" slices
3 TBsp. Crisco (I use the zero trans fat kind)
3/4 to 1 cup of buttermilk*

Put all the dry ingredients in the bowl of a food processor and pulse it several times to mix.

Add your shortening and butter and pulse it 8-10 times until the fats are well incorporated.

Dump contents of food processor bowl into a large mixing bowl and add the buttermilk while mixing with a spoon or silicone spatula. *I live at 8000 feet so I need more liquid than most people.

Turn dough out onto floured surface and knead until smooth. Knead as little as possible to achieve a smooth dough. {Heavily flour your counter top/cutting board. You want a fairly wet dough that holds together. As you knead it flour will be absorbed up from your work surface}

Pull your hot cast iron skillet from the oven and add approx. 1 tsp. shortening to the pan.

Roll dough until it is about 1/2" thick and cut with a cutter or a glass.

Place the cut biscuits in the hot skillet. When the last one has been placed turn the other biscuits 1/4 turn and flip with a thin spatula.

Baking time depends on the size of the biscuit. I use a 3" cutter so I bake for 12-13 minutes. Smaller biscuits take less time.

* All Purpose flour works well but lately I've been using King Arthur Pastry flour and the biscuits are even better. Look for a high quality pastry/cake flour and try it. It is money well spent.

3 comments:

Connie said...

This looks good. I might try making them.

Greg said...

Thanks! I only really care about baking three things well. Biscuits, Pies and Pizza Crust.

I'm good with the first two, pizza crust...well mine is pretty durable.

Mary said...

Fantastic recipe! I baked the biscuits in my #10 Favorite Piqua Ware skillet (it has a cool 'Erie' ghost) and they came out great!

One note: I substituted butter for shortening and the recipe still worked.

Excellent instructions, especially in regards to warming up the skillet in the oven before adding shortening (or butter).